Climate Resilience Planning for Cities
Your City is invited to join a Resilient Cities Cluster
Meet with your peers from 8 to 10 cities in your county twice in 2017 to share your draft comprehensive plan language on energy, adaptation and health/equity/economic vitality.
You are invited to join us at our June 2017 Planning for Resilient Cities workshops, Please RSVP on line.
June 2017 – Planning for Resilient Cities
NETWORKING GATHERINGS FOR CITY STAFF, CITY COMMISSION & COMMUNITY VOLUNTEERS
(event flyer) PlanningforResilientCitiesJune2017MetroWorkshops
Learn in small groups with your peers from other cities in your county
- Example comprehensive plan goals/strategies
- New Mapping and Planning Tools
- Implementation Resources
Sign up to participate for the date and session that works best for you. Bring a team of 3 or more from your city to participate in all 3 topic conversations.
North / East Metro Workshops
with Anoka, Ramsey and Washington Counties and local watershed districts
Thursday June 1 – Roseville Skating Center – Rose Room 2661 Civic Center Drive Roseville, MN 55113
- City Staff workshop – Thurs June 1 1pm to 4:30pm, Roseville Skating Center
- Community/Commission Workshop – Thurs June 1 6pm to 8:30pm, Roseville Skating Center
West Metro Workshops
with Hennepin, Scott and Carver Counties and local watershed districts
- Community/Commission Workshop – Thurs June 8 – 6pm to 8:30pm, Ridgedale Library, 12601 Ridgedale Dr, Minnetonka
- City Staff Workshop – Fri June 23 – 10am to 1pm (with lunch) Ridgedale Library, 12601 Ridgedale Dr, Minnetonka
South Metro Workshops
with Dakota County and local watershed districts
Tuesday June 27 – Apple Valley Senior Center 14601 Hayes Rd, Apple Valley, MN 55124
- City Staff workshop – Tues June 27 1 to 4:30pm – Apple Valley Senior Center
- Community/Commission Workshop – Tues June 27 6pm to 8:30pm – Apple Valley Senior Center
AGENDA – PLANNING FOR RESILIENT CITIES WORKSHOPS – FOR STAFF & VOLUNTEERS
- City Updates – staff or commission volunteers will share brief updates (30 min)
- New Resilience Planning Resources – partners will share the new planning and mapping tools, sample comp plan language & implementation resources (30 min)
- Small Group Discussion (Energy, Adaptation, Health) – explore how you can use these resources in your city with peers from other cities & resource staff (90 min)
TOPIC RESOURCE PARTNERS AND WORKSHOP CO-SPONSORS
SHARING NEW PLANNING/MAPPING TOOLS, EXAMPLE COMPREHENSIVE PLAN LANGUAGE, IMPLEMENTATION RESOURCES
LOCAL CLEAN ENERGY – Community Profiles, Solar Maps, LOGOPEP Case studies, Planning Templates & Wedge Tool
- Great Plains Institute, U of MN Energy Transition Lab, LHB, Center for Energy Environment, USGBC/ LEED for Cities, Xcel Energy – Partners in Energy, Dakota Electric, Evergreen Energy, Eutetics.
ADAPTATION/ Water Quality – Climate vulnerability mapping, Surface Water Plans, MIDS, EAB response
- Fresh Water Society, MPCA, DNR, Met Council, Tree Trust, EOR, Bolton & Menk, Barr, Ramsey Washington, Rice Creek, Nine Mile, Riley Purgatory, Minnehaha Watershed Districts
HEALTH/ Active Living, Food Access, Economic Inclusion – Bike & pedestrian & food access maps, health & equity data & strategies
- Public Health staff, MN Food Charter – Food Access Planning Guide, GARE, One MN, Concordia, CURA
Thanks to our Workshop Co-sponsors – Alliance for Sustainability, MN EQB, MPCA, MDH, DNR, Anoka, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey & Washington Counties, MN CEE, EOR, GPI, LHB Corp, USGBC, Ever-Green Energy, Xcel Energy, Dakota Electric, Eutectics, LHB Corp., Bolton & Menk, OneMN.org, MN Food Charter, U of MN CURA, MN Design Center, CSBR, Energy Transition Lab, MFAN, iMatter Youth
January 2017 to September 2017 – Resilient Cities Clusters – we will support 50 metro cities to share their draft comprehensive language in groups of 5 to 8 cities in Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott and Washington Counties. In 2017 The Alliance for Sustainability will work closely with our county and nonprofit resource partners, watershed districts and utilities to convene interested city staff & commission volunteers in each county to meet together two times in 2017 as they write their resilience sections of their comprehensive plans (including energy, adaptation and health/equity/economic vitality to
- Share and compare draft plan language, goals and strategies
- Connect with resources to map existing conditions, energy usage, climate vulnerabilities, health, etc.
- Learn from cities that have developed energy action plans & implementation strategies through Xcel’s Partners in Energy, LoGoPep the Mayors Compact, MN GreenSteps or to help meet our MN CO2 reduction goals.
- Develop implementation strategies for their comprehensive plans including identifying new funding sources, quality technical advisors, community and business engagement strategies, benchmarking and tracking results
- We will then contribute case studies that other cities can benefit from to the local planning handbook http://metrocouncil.org/Handbook/Plan-Elements/Resilience.aspx
Many cities in the metro area have environmental commissions, and over the years, the focus of those commissions have been on stormwater management, improving impaired waters, ordinance writing, and other municipal concerns as they arise.
But lately, there has been a new topic added to the agenda: Resilience. We know climate change is happening, and we know we are seeing more storms, more violent storms, and more flooding. Can we plan to adjust to these new realities? Can we make our communities more “resilient” — more able to prevent damage and more able to recover from bad episodes?
We can! And to that end, the Metropolitan Council has added a chapter on resilience to the 10 comprehensive plan chapters that cities are in the process of writing now.
If you are new to what this means and how cities can reduce their contribution to global warming pollution and to be safe in the face of more weather events, here is a link to Met Council’s site. It is great background information!
- ne communities resilience meet
- Fall 2017 Planning for Resilient Cities Workshops – join us!
- NE Communities Volunteer Meet Up on City Energy & Resilience Plans
- Join us in June! Resilient Cities Workshops!
- Volunteer Meet Ups – Support your city to lead on energy
- Nov 29 Germany’s Energy Transition
- Cities are leading the way! Will you help us do it? Thanks for giving on Give to the Max Day!
- Please RSVP to Join us Oct 24 – Planning for Resilient Cities