Supporting our Cities to become Energy Leaders – The Alliance for Sustainability is now developing and supporting volunteer teams in 50 metro communities to support their Planning Commissions, City staff and City Councils to include energy, resilience, health and economic inclusion goals and strategies in their comprehensive plans by December of 2018. Sign up here to join a volunteer team in your city.
You are invited to join us at our June 2017 Planning for Resilient Cities workshops, Please RSVP on line.
June 2017 – Planning for Resilient Cities
Networking Gatherings for City Staff, City Commission & Community Volunteers
(event flyer) PlanningforResilientCitiesJune2017MetroWorkshops
Learn in small groups with your peers from other cities in your county
- Example comprehensive plan goals/strategies
- New Mapping and Planning Tools
- Implementation Resources
Sign up to participate for the date and session that works best for you. Bring a team of 3 or more from your city to participate in all 3 topic conversations.
North / East Metro Workshops
with Anoka, Ramsey and Washington Counties and local watershed districts
Thursday June 1 – Roseville Skating Center – Rose Room 2661 Civic Center Drive Roseville, MN 55113
- City Staff workshop – Thurs June 1 1pm to 4:30pm, Roseville Skating Center
- Community/Commission Workshop – Thurs June 1 6pm to 8:30pm, Roseville Skating Center
West Metro Workshops
with Hennepin, Scott and Carver Counties and local watershed districts
- Community/Commission Workshop – Thurs June 8 – 6pm to 8:30pm, Ridgedale Library, 12601 Ridgedale Dr, Minnetonka
- City Staff Workshop – Fri June 23 – 10am to 1pm (with lunch) Ridgedale Library, 12601 Ridgedale Dr, Minnetonka
South Metro Workshops
with Dakota County and local watershed districts
Wednesday June 28 – Apple Valley Senior Center 14601 Hayes Rd, Apple Valley, MN 55124
- City Staff workshop – Wed June 28 1 to 4:30pm – Apple Valley Senior Center
- Community/Commission Workshop – Wed June 28 6pm to 8:30pm – Apple Valley Senior Center
Agenda – Planning for Resilient Cities workshops – for Staff & Volunteers
- City Updates – staff or commission volunteers will share brief updates (30 min)
- New Resilience Planning Resources – partners will share the new planning and mapping tools, sample comp plan language & implementation resources (30 min)
- Small Group Discussion (Energy, Adaptation, Health) – explore how you can use these resources in your city with peers from other cities & resource staff (90 min)
TOPIC RESOURCE PARTNERS and Workshop Co-sponsors
Sharing new Planning/Mapping Tools, Example Comprehensive Plan Language, Implementation Resources
LOCAL CLEAN ENERGY – Community Profiles, Solar Maps, LOGOPEP Case studies, Planning Templates & Wedge Tool
- Great Plains Institute, U of MN Energy Transition Lab, LHB, Center for Energy Environment, USGBC/ LEED for Cities, Xcel Energy – Partners in Energy, Dakota Electric, Evergreen Energy, Eutetics.
ADAPTATION/ Water Quality – Climate vulnerability mapping, Surface Water Plans, MIDS, EAB response
- Fresh Water Society, MPCA, DNR, Met Council, Tree Trust, EOR, Bolton & Menk, Barr, Ramsey Washington, Rice Creek, Nine Mile, Riley Purgatory, Minnehaha Watershed Districts
HEALTH/ Active Living, Food Access, Economic Inclusion – Bike & pedestrian & food access maps, health & equity data & strategies
- Public Health staff, MN Food Charter – Food Access Planning Guide, GARE, One MN, Concordia, CURA
Thanks to our Workshop Co-sponsors – Alliance for Sustainability, MN EQB, MPCA, MDH, DNR, Anoka, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey & Washington Counties, MN CEE, EOR, GPI, LHB Corp, USGBC, Ever-Green Energy, Xcel Energy, Dakota Electric, Eutectics, LHB Corp., Bolton & Menk, OneMN.org, MN Food Charter, U of MN CURA, MN Design Center, CSBR, Energy Transition Lab, MFAN, iMatter Youth
- Volunteer sign up form to join our volunteer team in your city supporting your city to include energy, resilience and sustainability themes in your city’s comprehensive plan update in 2017.
- We are also working with teams of high school students with I Matter Youth to build support within metro cities to adopt community wide energy goals and action plans
Down load the presentations http://allianceforsustainability.com/oct24presentations/ from our
Planning for Resilient Cities Workshop with the MN EQB, Mon Oct 24, 2016 at the Wilder Foundation
Your City is invited to join a Resilient Cities Cluster
To learn more and sign up to participate – Please RSVP on line
contact Sean Gosiewski, Executive Director, Alliance for Sustainability, 612-250-0389 firstname.lastname@example.org
January 2017 to September 2018 – Resilient Cities Clusters – we will support 50 metro cities to share their draft comprehensive language in groups of 5 to 8 cities in Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott and Washington Counties. In 2017 The Alliance for Sustainability will work closely with our county and nonprofit resource partners, watershed districts and utilities to convene interested city staff & commission volunteers in each county to meet together two times in 2017 as they write their resilience sections of their comprehensive plans (including energy, adaptation and health/equity/economic vitality to
- Share and compare draft plan language, goals and strategies
- Connect with resources to map existing conditions, energy usage, climate vulnerabilities, health, etc.
- Learn from cities that have developed energy action plans & implementation strategies through Xcel’s Partners in Energy, LoGoPep the Mayors Compact, MN GreenSteps or to help meet our MN CO2 reduction goals.
- Develop implementation strategies for their comprehensive plans including identifying new funding sources, quality technical advisors, community and business engagement strategies, benchmarking and tracking results
- We will then contribute case studies that other cities can benefit from to the local planning handbook http://metrocouncil.org/Handbook/Plan-Elements/Resilience.aspx
In July 2016 the Minnesota Environmental Quality Board released the updated MN Climate Action Plan – Climate solution and Economic Opportunities – to get our state back on track to achieve our goals to reduce CO2 economy wide 30% by 2025 and 80% by 2050. The EQB is co-hosting our October 24 workshop to give cities practical strategies they can include in their Comprehensive Plans to do their part to help Minnesota continue being a leader in achieving the ambitious CO2 reduction goals adopted by the State of MN and through the U.N. Paris Climate Accord in December 2015. www.eqb.state.mn.us/content/climate-change
The powerpoint presentations from our Spring 2017 Planning for Resilient Cities Workshops are available below.
Participating Cities – 2016 Planning for Resilient Cities Workshops
This spring 350 city staff, elected leaders, commission and community volunteers from 73 cities and townships joined us to find practical resources to include energy, resilience, active living, healthy food access and equity in their comprehensive plans. www.allianceforsustainability.com/sustainablecommunities
2016 Anoka County Workshop – Tues January 26, Coon Rapids Civic Center (14 cities) www.allianceforsustainability.com/anokaworkshop from Anoka, Andover Blaine, Coon Rapids, Fridley, Linwood, Lexington, Osseo, Now Then, St. Francis, Anoka County, Brooklyn Park, St. Louis Park
2016 Dakota County Workshop – Thurs June 2, Apple Valley Senior Center (12 cities) http://allianceforsustainability.com/dakotaworkshop/ Apple Valley, Burnsville, Eagan, Inver Grove Heights, Hastings, Mendota Heights, Rosemount, South St. Paul, Savage, Sunfish Lake, West St. Paul and Faribault.
2016 Hennepin County Workshop – Wed March 23, Minnetonka Community Center (19 cities) www.allianceforsustainability.com/hennepinworkshop Bloomington, Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Columbia Heights, Crystal, Dayton, Edina, Golden Valley, Greenfield, Hennepin County, Minneapolis, Hopkins, Medicine Lake, Minnetonka, Osseo, Richfield , Robbinsdale, Shorewood, St. Louis Park, Wayzata
2016 Ramsey County Workshop – Mon March 28, Ramsey Co Public Works, Arden Hills (14 cities) www.allianceforsustainability.com/ramseyworkshop Arden Hills, Rice Creek Commons, Falcon Heights, Lauderdale, Little Canada, Maplewood, Mounds View, New Brighton, North St. Paul, Ramsey County, Roseville, Shoreview, St. Paul, Vadnais Heights, White Bear Lake, White Bear Township
2016 Washington County Workshop – Tues March 29 Stillwater Library 224 3rd St N. Stillwater (14 cities and townships) www.allianceforsustainability.com/washingtonworkshop including staff and/or volunteers from Afton, Bayport, Bay Township, Cottage Grove, Forest Lake, Lake Elmo, Mahtomedi, Marine, Oak Park Heights, Oakdale, Scandia, Washington County Public Health, Stillwater, Stillwater Twp, Woodbury Comp Plan Task Force