Supporting our Cities to become Energy Leaders – The Alliance for Sustainability is now developing and supporting volunteer teams in 50 metro communities to support their Environment & Sustainability and Planning Commissions, City staff and City Councils to include energy, resilience, health and economic inclusion goals and strategies in their comprehensive plans by December of 2018. Sign up here to join a volunteer team in your city.
June 2017 Planning for Resilient Cities workshops
- Thank you to everyone who joined us for our four Planning for Resilient Cities Workshops in June including 285 staff, elected leaders, commission and community volunteers from 46 cities and 8 counties!
- The workshop presentations and handouts are posted below for you to enjoy and share.
- We will meet again in October 2017 for a Metro Wide Planning for Resilient Cities Workshop.
- Please sign up here to receive updates on our future workshops.
June 2017 – Planning for Resilient Cities
Networking Gatherings for City Staff, City Commission & Community Volunteers
North / East Metro Workshops with Anoka, Ramsey and Washington CountY Cities
Thursday June 1 – Roseville Skating Center – with staff and/or volunteers participating from Ramsey Co (12) Arden Hills, Falcon Heights, Lauderdale, Maplewood, Mounds View, New Brighton, Roseville, Shoreview, St. Anthony, St. Paul, Vadnais Heights, White Bear Lake, Anoka Co (4) Anoka, Columbia Heights, Coon Rapids, Fridley, Washington Co (4) Oakdale, Mahtomedi, Marine, Woodbury
- Resource Guide & Speaker Contacts June1HandoutsPlanningForResilientCities
- See the presentations and handouts below.
West Metro Workshops with Hennepin, Scott and Carver CountY CITIES
with staff and/or volunteers participating from Hennepin Co (15) Bloomington, Brooklyn Park, Eden Prairie, Edina, Golden Valley, Hopkins, Maple Grove, Maple Plain, Minneapolis, Minnetonka, Osseo, Plymouth, Richfield, Shorewood, St. Louis Park, Victoria, Scott Co (4) Jordan, Prior Lake, Shakopee, Elko New Market, Carver County (4) Carver, Chanhassen, Chaska, Victoria
- Community Workshop – Thurs June 8 – 6pm to 8:30pm, Ridgedale Library, Minnetonka
- City Staff Workshop – Fri June 23 – 10am to 1pm Ridgedale Library, Minnetonka
- Resource Guide & Speaker Contacts June23HandoutsPlanningForResilientCities
South Metro Workshop with Dakota and Rice County CommunitY CITIES
Tuesday June 27 – Apple Valley Senior Center with staff and/or volunteers participating from from Dakota Co. (10) Apple Valley, Burnsville, Eagan, Empire Township, Hastings, Inver Grove Heights, Lakeville, Rosemount, South St. Paul, Sunfish Lake, West St. Paul, Rice Co. (2) Faribault, Northfield, Goodhue Co (1) Redwing
- Resource Guide & Speaker Contacts June27DakotaWorkshopHandoutsCompPlanningResources
- Dakota County Resilience Contacts and Resources Dakota County Resource People
- See the presentations below.
Workshop Presentations and Handouts
Energy Mapping & Planning Brian Ross, Abby Finnis & Diana McKeown, Great Plains Institute
- Energy Planning Presentation AFS_June 23GPIenergy
- LoGoPEP Energy Planning Resources www.regionalindicatorsmn.com/energy-planning
- LogoPEP, Energy Planning Workbook energyplanningworkbook_may2017 (1)
- Example CO2 reduction strategies (Alliance & Blue Dot) Emission Reduction Example Measures 060817
- Met Council Solar Planning Guide Factsheet-Planning-for-Solar
- Met Council Local Planning Handbook – Resilience Element https://metrocouncil.org/Handbook/Plan-Elements/Resilience.aspx
Energy Efficiency, Renewables & Electric Vehicles in Dakota County Tim Doherty, Stephanie Pederson , Dakota Electric
- Dakota Electric Presentation DakotaElectricJune27ResilientCitiesPresentation
- Dakota County – Energy Resources and Plans www.co.dakota.mn.us/Environment/Energy
- Dakota Electric – Business Programs /Rebates www.dakotaelectric.com/business/programs-rebates
- Residential Programs and Rebates www.dakotaelectric.com/residential/programs
- Wellspring – Dakota Electric Association www.dakotaelectric.com/renewable-energy/wellspring-renewable-energy
- Electric Vehicles www.dakotaelectric.com/member-services/programs-rebates/for-your-home/electric-vehicle-charging/
High Performance Buildings & Eco Districts John Carmody, U of MN Center for Sustainable Building Research
- Presentation – SB 2030, Eco Districts HighPerformanceBuildingsEcoDistrictsMNDesignCtrCarmody
- Handout – SB 2030 SB2030Handout-3
- Link SB 2030 Energy Standard l Case Studies
- Link Eco Districts/ MN Design Center, U of MN Community Design Assistance
Future Transportation Trends – Planning for Autonomous Electric Vehicles – Tom Fisher U of MN Design Center.
- Handout – Planning for Autonomous Electric Vehicles SAVehicle brochure, June 2017
- Drive Electric Minnesota Possible funding for EV charging Infrastructure – VW Settlement, Star Trib July 14
- Can We Advance Social Equity with Shared, Autonomous and Electric Vehicles? UC Davis Position Paper
- Three Revolutions in Urban Transportation UC Davis Position Paper
Climate Adaptation/ Resilience Planning/ Project Examples – Matt Metzger, P.E. Barr Engineering
- Handout Climate Mitigation & Adaptation Planning Climate Services at Barr_Print Version
Climate Adaptation/ Resilient Infrastructure, Project Examples, Brett Emmons, P.E., Emmons Oliver Resources.
- Presentation EOR Sustainability Presentation_June 2017
- Met Council Local Planning Handbook – Resilience Element https://metrocouncil.org/Handbook/Plan-Elements/Resilience.aspx
- MN GreenStep Cities Best Practice 29 – Climate Adaptation Climate Adaptation and Community Resilience – Plan and prepare for extreme weather, adapt to changing climatic conditions, and foster stronger community connectedness and social and economic vitality.
Urban Forestry/ Green Infrastructure, Resilience and your Comp Plan – Michael Orange, Orange Consulting
- Presentation Enhancing the Urban Forest 062617
Heath/ Active Living/ Food Access/ Health Equity – Dakota, Hennepin and Ramsey County staff, Nadja Berneche, Food Access Policy Guide & Check List
- Food Access Policy Guide and Tool Kit http://mnfoodcharter.com/planningguide/
- Food Access Policy Guide Resources http://mnfoodcharter.com/planningguide/resources/
- Healthy Comprehensive Plan Check List FINAL_CHECKLIST_ComprehensivePlanningForAHealthyCommunity_May31-2017
- Ramsey Co Presentation
- Dakota Co Presentation Dakota County Presentation
Metro County Solid Waste Master Plan Updates
- MPCA Metro Wide Plan
- Anoka www.anokacounty.us/355/Recycling-Resource-Solutions
- Carver www.co.carver.mn.us/services/environment/recycling
- Dakota www.co.dakota.mn.us/socialmedia/Pages/Dakota-County-Solid-Waste-Master-Plan-Update.aspx
- Hennepin www.hennepin.us/solidwasteplanning
- Ramsey www.ramseycounty.us/residents/recycling-waste/planning-future
- Ramsey Co Presentation RC SolidWasteMasterPlanAlliance for Sustainablity June 1, 2017
- Scott www.scottcountymn.gov/709/Solid-Waste-Management
- Washington http://morevaluelesstrash.com/master-plan-summary/
Small Group Discussion (Energy, Adaptation, Health) – explore how you can use these resources in your city with peers from other cities & resource staff (90 min)
|Local, clean ENERGY & transportation||Water Quality/
|Active Living, Food Access, HEALTH|
|Mapping – solar maps, residential and commercial energy use profiles
Setting Goals – LOGOPEP Energy Planning Templates
Implementation & funding – CERTS, Utility Programs, Sol Smart, SB 2030, energy efficiency, Drive Electric MN,
|Mapping – flood & climate risk planning and preparedness
Setting Goals – BWSR and Watershed District Requirements
Implementation & funding – multi jurisdictional projects, MIDS CIP budgets, Legacy projects
|Mapping – health & income disparities, bike & trail connections
Setting Goals – Healthy Comp Plan Check List, examples from cities
Implementation & funding – Bike/Ped Funding, Safe Routes, Food Access, city examples
TOPIC RESOURCE PARTNERS and Workshop Co-sponsors
Sharing new Planning/Mapping Tools, Example Comprehensive Plan Language, Implementation Resources
LOCAL CLEAN ENERGY – Community Profiles, Solar Maps, LOGOPEP Case studies, Planning Templates & Wedge Tool
- Great Plains Institute, U of MN Design Center, Center for Sustainable Building Research, Energy Transition Lab, LHB, Center for Energy Environment, USGBC/ LEED for Cities, Xcel Energy – Partners in Energy, Dakota Electric, Connexus, FSEER, Novel Energy Solutions
- Download our new checklist of sample Energy and Climate Action for City Comprehensive Plans compiled by Ted Redmond, Pale Blue Dot and the Alliance for Sustainability Emission Reduction Example Measures 060817
ADAPTATION/ Water Quality – Climate vulnerability mapping, Surface Water Plans, Emergency Preparedness, multi jurisdictional projects
- Barr Engineering, Emmons Olivier Resources, MPCA, Bolton & Menk, Ramsey Washington, Rice Creek, Nine Mile, Riley Purgatory, Minnehaha Watershed Districts
HEALTH/ Active Living, Food Access, Economic Inclusion – Bike & pedestrian & food access maps, health & equity data & strategies
- Public Health staff, MN Food Charter – Food Access Planning Guide, GARE, One MN, Concordia, CURA
Thanks to our Workshop Co-sponsors – Alliance for Sustainability, MN EQB, MPCA, MDH, DNR, Anoka, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey & Washington Counties, Center for Energy and Environment, EOR Inc., GPI, LHB Corp, USGBC, Ever-Green Energy, Xcel Energy, Dakota Electric, Eutectics, LHB Corp., Bolton & Menk, Fresh Water Society, Rice Creek and Ramsey Washington Metro Watershed Districts, OneMN.org, MN Food Charter, U of MN CURA, MN Design Center, CSBR, Energy Transition Lab, MFAN, iMatter Youth
- Volunteer sign up form to join our volunteer team in your city supporting your city to include energy, resilience and sustainability themes in your city’s comprehensive plan update in 2017.
- We are also working with teams of high school students with I Matter Youth to build support within metro cities to adopt community wide energy goals and action plans
Down load the presentations http://allianceforsustainability.com/oct24presentations/ from our
Planning for Resilient Cities Workshop with the MN EQB, Mon Oct 24, 2016 at the Wilder Foundation
Your City is invited to join a Resilient Cities Cluster
To learn more and sign up to participate – Please RSVP on line
contact Sean Gosiewski, Executive Director, Alliance for Sustainability, 612-250-0389 email@example.com
January 2017 to September 2018 – Resilient Cities Clusters – we will support 50 metro cities to share their draft comprehensive language in groups of 5 to 8 cities in Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott and Washington Counties. In 2017 The Alliance for Sustainability will work closely with our county and nonprofit resource partners, watershed districts and utilities to convene interested city staff & commission volunteers in each county to meet together two times in 2017 as they write their resilience sections of their comprehensive plans (including energy, adaptation and health/equity/economic vitality to
- Share and compare draft plan language, goals and strategies
- Connect with resources to map existing conditions, energy usage, climate vulnerabilities, health, etc.
- Learn from cities that have developed energy action plans & implementation strategies through Xcel’s Partners in Energy, LoGoPep the Mayors Compact, MN GreenSteps or to help meet our MN CO2 reduction goals.
- Develop implementation strategies for their comprehensive plans including identifying new funding sources, quality technical advisors, community and business engagement strategies, benchmarking and tracking results
- We will then contribute case studies that other cities can benefit from to the local planning handbook http://metrocouncil.org/Handbook/Plan-Elements/Resilience.aspx
In July 2016 the Minnesota Environmental Quality Board released the updated MN Climate Action Plan – Climate solution and Economic Opportunities – to get our state back on track to achieve our goals to reduce CO2 economy wide 30% by 2025 and 80% by 2050. The EQB is co-hosting our October 24 workshop to give cities practical strategies they can include in their Comprehensive Plans to do their part to help Minnesota continue being a leader in achieving the ambitious CO2 reduction goals adopted by the State of MN and through the U.N. Paris Climate Accord in December 2015. www.eqb.state.mn.us/content/climate-change
The powerpoint presentations from our Spring 2017 Planning for Resilient Cities Workshops are available below.
Participating Cities – 2016 Planning for Resilient Cities Workshops
This spring 350 city staff, elected leaders, commission and community volunteers from 73 cities and townships joined us to find practical resources to include energy, resilience, active living, healthy food access and equity in their comprehensive plans. www.allianceforsustainability.com/sustainablecommunities
2016 Anoka County Workshop – Tues January 26, Coon Rapids Civic Center (14 cities) www.allianceforsustainability.com/anokaworkshop from Anoka, Andover Blaine, Coon Rapids, Fridley, Linwood, Lexington, Osseo, Now Then, St. Francis, Anoka County, Brooklyn Park, St. Louis Park
2016 Dakota County Workshop – Thurs June 2, Apple Valley Senior Center (12 cities) http://allianceforsustainability.com/dakotaworkshop/ Apple Valley, Burnsville, Eagan, Inver Grove Heights, Hastings, Mendota Heights, Rosemount, South St. Paul, Savage, Sunfish Lake, West St. Paul and Faribault.
2016 Hennepin County Workshop – Wed March 23, Minnetonka Community Center (19 cities) www.allianceforsustainability.com/hennepinworkshop Bloomington, Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Columbia Heights, Crystal, Dayton, Edina, Golden Valley, Greenfield, Hennepin County, Minneapolis, Hopkins, Medicine Lake, Minnetonka, Osseo, Richfield , Robbinsdale, Shorewood, St. Louis Park, Wayzata
2016 Ramsey County Workshop – Mon March 28, Ramsey Co Public Works, Arden Hills (14 cities) www.allianceforsustainability.com/ramseyworkshop Arden Hills, Rice Creek Commons, Falcon Heights, Lauderdale, Little Canada, Maplewood, Mounds View, New Brighton, North St. Paul, Ramsey County, Roseville, Shoreview, St. Paul, Vadnais Heights, White Bear Lake, White Bear Township
2016 Washington County Workshop – Tues March 29 Stillwater Library 224 3rd St N. Stillwater (14 cities and townships) www.allianceforsustainability.com/washingtonworkshop including staff and/or volunteers from Afton, Bayport, Bay Township, Cottage Grove, Forest Lake, Lake Elmo, Mahtomedi, Marine, Oak Park Heights, Oakdale, Scandia, Washington County Public Health, Stillwater, Stillwater Twp, Woodbury Comp Plan Task Force